NIGHTMARE barb gameplay

so all of these other topics are great and all, but after getting up to act3 NM I have come to realize that the difficulties change the gameplay immensely.
    In normal it was very easy to do the basic leap, ww, kill everything with a 2h.

Now in nightmare I've had to change my spec around to a more defensive build and use a shield for partying... BUT I couldn't come close to soloing balail at lvl 40 with sword and board, but put on a 2h and I kicked his ass...

anyways, post your success and insights for NIGHTMARE PVE here!!!!!
    http://eu.battle.net...YQiT!ZYd!ZaZbab

Works good so far. I am Act 3 NM right now.

Usually run in stomp, overpower, kill everything else with ww/bash (playing with 2h)

But i have to change in hell. I won't survive :)
    Last part of act 4 NM, level 50. Using a sword and shield, frenzy with the throwing axes rune. Leap, Stomp, war cry and call of the ancients. Owning. Some champions will simply KILL you.

I've been sword and boarding but once i hit hell i simply cant do enough damage to kill them, if anything it just slows down my death..

Act 2 now, switched to DW
    Gotten to hell so far. Two-hands all the way, usually plow through everything, including bosses. But I got neat weapons, always the latest off AH, with 170 dps at 45 a,d 235 at 50. Different story in Hell though... getting ripped pretty hard.

Anyway - Stomp, Charge, WarCry, WotB-Insanity is 1-4, Frenzy/WW in mouse. Battle Master, that shout heal and that 100% vitality to armor thingie.

WotB-Insanity and Frenzy usually plows bosses, if you know when to run and when to fight. Stomp helps an immensely lot too, since bosses doesn't become stun immune to Hell (think they do, killed hell SK right before server shutdown and didn't get any stuns from Frenzy on him.)
    Soloing NM just as easy as Normal.

Leap, Stomp, Overpower and then cleave/rend.

Get a better weapon.
    and shield is a must :)
    I'm currently using http://us.battle.net...XVRT!beV!YYaabb with a 2 hander in act 2 Hell difficulty.

As you can see its as defensive as it can get, i just hope im doing something wrong because if we need so much defense in hell, then i dont even want to know what we'll need to get trough Inferno.

Edit: does everyone and their grandma use Whirwind? because 90% of you here have WW in your builds
    WW is such trash to me, hardly does damage
    Hey, Just got to nightmare, not sure how defensive I actually will have to get, but im trying to strike a good balance and just go at packs with a little caution. One thing I was having a hard time deciding on was whether to use HotA or Rend, but I figured I already had a couple AOE (cleave/Revenge) and would need something to deal with elite packs and champions.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bZXVYP!ZVY!ZZaaba

I guess in the end it will either work or won't, let me know what you guys think.
    Well hello there.

I'm playing barb only atm, and i have to say he seems a bit overpowered.... I decided to go tanky not glass cannon dps, and for now ACT3 Nightmare 43lvl with 1,5k dps and 15khp it seems just too easy.

For me, the perfect build of "not dying" and crushing them alot is:
    http://eu.battle.net...RViP!ZYU!abbaaZ

Alot of survive, alot of DPS.

Wrath is so much better than Eearthquake... i do about 3,4k hits with Frenzy on it and about 6k crits with Revenge. Wrath + WW is best for any group of mobs. any. 1,2k WW crits with that speed? Oh yeah.

You have 2 life saviour as well. For not dying. Under 20% hp? Passive + Ignore pain with rune and just Revenge them to full hp again.

It's realy easy. I can hold anything on me as far as they wont fear me or kill me while im stunned/frozen. 15k hp and 22% phys reduction + 45% reduction from defence is enough to survive anything.

Edit: so far i died 5 times. 2 times DC'ed. forgot to say, i play mainly with my friend. So it's harder to survive bunch of mobs than @ solo play. He plays wizzy, so im the tank guy ;o

Edit:

Hey, Just got to nightmare, not sure how defensive I actually will have to get, but im trying to strike a good balance and just go at packs with a little caution. One thing I was having a hard time deciding on was whether to use HotA or Rend, but I figured I already had a couple AOE (cleave/Revenge) and would need something to deal with elite packs and champions.

http://us.battle.net...XVYP!ZVY!ZZaaba

I guess in the end it will either work or won't, let me know what you guys think.

Don't use thought as nail. If you got over 700vit (what you should have on nighmt) just go Nerves of steel.

Edit: Just found a new weapon. Got about 5k crits on revenge with it. Beliol didnt even get to 2nd "bomb" phase;o
    Diablo 3 Progress (clearing all content, doing bosses with 5 stacks, no exploits no bug abusement, solo only)
    Softcore (Barbarian) (Wizzard):
    All clear.
    Hardcore (Witch Doctor):
    King Leoric Inferno - dead Butcher Inferno - dead
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WZikVP!ZYX!aaabZZ

This is my current build for Nightmare, as taken from another build site. This is a work of art. Whirlwind I personally find lackluster and should be shelved in favor of single target DPS after normal mode is complete. This build can optionally flop out Inspiring Presence for Blood Thirst as a passive if you need to. You probably should as you get to higher difficulties or mid-NM. Maniac is to be taken at the level it's available, and same with Insanity on WoTB.

Honestly, this build has worked so well for me I've got other people using and loving it. It does lack mobility but you don't need that as Hammer is your CC for big pulls. WoTB demolishes packs when you have a full Fury gauge and Hammer. Ideally you want to use Hammers or Axes with this build. Keep both shouts up 100% of the time. Dual Wield I'm finding works well, but I've heard a few friends liking it with a 2H axe or mace.

The basic premise is that you crit so much, and are self-buffed so hard you obliterate anything in your path. It has tight control, and doesn't need a shield to stay alive. It has not been Inferno tested, but who knows it might fly with a shield there just fine. It has all the single target DPS needed for hard bosses too.

Note: A gentleman named TheHaven invented this build, and it is called Maniac Frenzy. I take 0 credit, and only hope to see it proliferate.

http://us.battle.net...ikVP!ZYX!aaabZZ

This is my current build for Nightmare, as taken from another build site. This is a work of art. Whirlwind I personally find lackluster and should be shelved in favor of single target DPS after normal mode is complete. This build can optionally flop out Inspiring Presence for Blood Thirst as a passive if you need to. You probably should as you get to higher difficulties or mid-NM. Maniac is to be taken at the level it's available, and same with Insanity on WoTB.

Honestly, this build has worked so well for me I've got other people using and loving it. It does lack mobility but you don't need that as Hammer is your CC for big pulls. WoTB demolishes packs when you have a full Fury gauge and Hammer. Ideally you want to use Hammers or Axes with this build. Keep both shouts up 100% of the time. Dual Wield I'm finding works well, but I've heard a few friends liking it with a 2H axe or mace.

The basic premise is that you crit so much, and are self-buffed so hard you obliterate anything in your path. It has tight control, and doesn't need a shield to stay alive. It has not been Inferno tested, but who knows it might fly with a shield there just fine. It has all the single target DPS needed for hard bosses too.

Note: A gentleman named TheHaven invented this build, and it is called Maniac Frenzy. I take 0 credit, and only hope to see it proliferate.

No Fury build up to begin with. If you want to go hammer, better go with some fury-builder as opener. I would recommend Furious Charge with Stamina, perfect 1st skill to use. Just Charge into pack, use rage and hammer it to the end of Fury.
    Also if u go 2h, change rune on hammer for the Thunderstrike. With charge and hammer spam creeps wont even move to attack you.
    You drasticly lack hp regen here, go revenge but with Vengeance is Mine. This will help u ALOT many times.
    To do ALOT and fast damage, change USELESS inspiration for godlike Brawler.

im lvl 44, near 45. When i hit it i will tell u how much dmg i can do with brawler. Without it, it's about 6k hits with hammer (crits) 4k opens with Charge and about 5-6 with revenge. Double the amount on wrath. 25% crit chance is enough. But i prefer WW with Wind Shear. Get some life steal on weapon and just WW till the end of times.

Realy, that build is fine. Fine untill they hit you. Make those changes and just dont let them attack you ;)

Second thought, you could open with Charge, change Battle Rage for STOMP with wrenching, so Charge, hammer hammer, stomp, hammer. Should be like this. Doubt any1 can survive this with good 130dps 2h on nightmare

EDIT: with brawler i do about 900 to 1,3k WW crits, 5-7k revenge crits. Doubles on Wraith. 1,7k dps without brawler
    Diablo 3 Progress (clearing all content, doing bosses with 5 stacks, no exploits no bug abusement, solo only)
    All clear.
    Hardcore (Witch Doctor):
    I've been using this build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WeXVkP!Wec!ZZbaaa

It's been very successful for me thus far. I have swapped Frenzy with Bash/Clobber on occasion though. I DW, but I feel like I will have to go sword and board soon. I'm on Act 2 Nightmare. D:

No Fury build up to begin with. If you want to go hammer, better go with some fury-builder as opener. I would recommend Furious Charge with Stamina, perfect 1st skill to use. Just Charge into pack, use rage and hammer it to the end of Fury.
    Also if u go 2h, change rune on hammer for the Thunderstrike. With charge and hammer spam creeps wont even move to attack you.
    You drasticly lack hp regen here, go revenge but with Vengeance is Mine. This will help u ALOT many times.
    To do ALOT and fast damage, change USELESS inspiration for godlike Brawler.

im lvl 44, near 45. When i hit it i will tell u how much dmg i can do with brawler. Without it, it's about 6k hits with hammer (crits) 4k opens with Charge and about 5-6 with revenge. Double the amount on wrath. 25% crit chance is enough. But i prefer WW with Wind Shear. Get some life steal on weapon and just WW till the end of times.

Realy, that build is fine. Fine untill they hit you. Make those changes and just dont let them attack you ;)

Second thought, you could open with Charge, change Battle Rage for STOMP with wrenching, so Charge, hammer hammer, stomp, hammer. Should be like this. Doubt any1 can survive this with good 130dps 2h on nightmare

EDIT: with brawler i do about 900 to 1,3k WW crits, 5-7k revenge crits. Doubles on Wraith. 1,7k dps without brawler

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WZVikP!gYd!caZabZ

Here is the finished level 60 of the build. The invigorate from war cry and the blood thirst should be more than enough for healing ultimately. I can see why the Revenge swap would increase healing, but it is a DPS loss for sure. The comment about missing a Fury generator - I don't think I really see your point there. Frenzy is a great generator if you're using 1H weapons. I can see it being slower with 2H weapons for sure though. It might even suck, but I go from what friends have said. Brawler I 100% agree with you there, I just don't have access to it yet st the time of posting. Same with Maniac and such.

After watching Inferno mode done by Method I can say without a doubt WW is going to have to go out the window. I am almost certain we will all be tanking in Inferno mode. I can see it now after watching. This being said, this build might not last for Inferno mode at all. Method killed Act 2 with a tanking build for the Barb in the group. It's pretty much just like an MMO on that mode. Everyone MUST play a role.

I'm 60 now, late Act 3 Hell. Can't use WW at all, the only thing that works well in group play is Seismic Slam with Strength from the Earth. I've also now started using Frenzy with Maniac instead of Cleave because you really need single target damage. Starting from Act 2 in Hell you just get two shot by everything, defensive passives or not. Luckily I have a monk in my group that tanks or it would be utterly impossible to play without going fully defensive with gear, gems, skills and passives.

All in all I don't really know what to think of Barb.
    ­

I'm 60 now, late Act 3 Hell. Can't use WW at all, the only thing that works well in group play is Seismic Slam with Strength from the Earth. I've also now started using Frenzy with Maniac instead of Cleave because you really need single target damage. Starting from Act 2 in Hell you just get two shot by everything, defensive passives or not. Luckily I have a monk in my group that tanks or it would be utterly impossible to play without going fully defensive with gear, gems, skills and passives.

I can't even use WW in Nightmare. Even with a ground stomp into a WW, I'm getting slaughtered moments after. Even with blood funnel and revenge's vengeance is mine, it's still not enough to be efficient. I'm preferring seismic slam as well for dmg, but also for peels. I'll definitely use strength from earth as soon as I hit 48.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#beViXS!ZVd!ZZaaaa

Here's my build. It's been too easy in normal (600 dps/3k health on char screen with 1h/shield with battle rage up). Killed Diablo today, so will go to NM tomorrow (took normal quite slow to enjoy the game). Level 32 atm.

As is evident, I'm focusing on doing damage to multiple targets at once, and using both mobility skills (furious charge is awesome for damaging, as well) to tip-toe around the battlefield.

I swapped to DW, had some troubles at hell from beginning but now im quite fine. Im lvl 54 at the end of a1 hell.

First of all - WW is a must. You say u cant use it at all, dunno why.
    Just go Battle Rage with Into the Fray, WW with Blood Funnel.

Got 27% crit chance, and with those 2 runes i can spam WW endless. Healing myself quite a bit (and i alose got 8% life steal, that + 1,6-1,8k crits from WW with DW speed is awesome).

I had some problems with hell as well. But 30% resistance to all elementals, 34% to phys and 54% def from armor is quite enough. If u still feel raped by the Elite creeps with elemental damage just go ahead and take Superstition.

cheers

edit: im at 4,1k dps / 29,8k hp
    All clear.
    Hardcore (Witch Doctor):
    How do/did you beat diablo on nightmare solo?
    Here is a video of me killing Diablo on Nightmare solo. Could've ran a better build but this works. Maybe it will help you defeat him yourself. Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUtMGgfPsA0
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes