Barbarians in Inferno and shields

Luckily I got my question answered which neither Bashiok nor Jay Wilson answered on Twitter before.

What do you think about this?
    ­
    My assumption is that if you don't use a shield you will need a much higher quality of gear to get anything done in inferno. The amount of armor you get wearing a shield is ridiculous and don't forget blocking.
    Shield would help if you're lacking high dps weapons. I'm trying to go for 3k-4k armor to take 50%+ less damage and about 204 int for 50%+ resistance. If i can manage to get more on each stat without using a shield, I'll be rolling 2H or 2 1H (Depending on DPS).
    Quote from Monath

My assumption is that if you don't use a shield you will need a much higher quality of gear to get anything done in inferno. The amount of armor you get wearing a shield is ridiculous and don't forget blocking.

Yeah I also think that will be the case. More damage dealt means less damage taken (on non-bosses at least).

Quote from djxt22

Shield would help if you're lacking high dps weapons. I'm trying to go for 3k-4k armor to take 50%+ less damage and about 204 int for 50%+ resistance. If i can manage to get more on each stat without using a shield, I'll be rolling 2H or 2 1H (Depending on DPS).

204 int means 50% resistance? That is pretty high considering how high the stats are on endgame gear.

--

Correct me on that but I'm fairly certain armor doesn't scale too well. Meaning if 2,000 armor offers 20% reduction then 4,000 won't offer 40% but quite a bit less meaning it could make more sense to stack other stats instead.
    ­
    I think with a group you will be able to bash through without 1h+shield.
    For sure you'll need highend gear, you'll need to farm hell/inferno a1/a2 for that, but in a group it'll be possible to play with def abilities but without 1h+shield..

Well Inferno solo? I'm pretty sure you only can "win" that with the best gear avaible for you at that state, it mean Inferno a1 you'll need almost the top gear that drops there to solo it... Blizz stated: Inferno can be done solo by every Char, but in grp it will be easier.. So you can imagine that solo will be a hard time... At least until you gear up yourself.

So what I want to say: 1h+shield most probably for solo'ing, but in grp you won't be forced to do that (except you play the "tank" for your grp)
    Mess with the best, die like the rest

i'll definitely be carrying a shield in my inventory in case I run into some hard-hitting bastards, but as long as I can manage I'll be going with dual-wielding or two-handers.
    I agree with some of the others, I think shields will be more or less mandatory until you get enough armor and resists from your other gear to survive.

Quote from Riesza

Quote from djxt22

204 int means 50% resistance? That is pretty high considering how high the stats are on endgame gear.

--

Correct me on that but I'm fairly certain armor doesn't scale too well. Meaning if 2,000 armor offers 20% reduction then 4,000 won't offer 40% but quite a bit less meaning it could make more sense to stack other stats instead.

204 int should be equal to 6,37% resist, not 50%.
    To get to 50% resist from int alone you would need 3000 int.
    3000 armor would give you 50% damage reduction as well.

As for how they scale, see these graphs:

Graph for armor scaling
    http://www.armadagaming.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33&d=1331499739
    Graph for resist scaling
    http://www.armadagaming.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34&d=1331499773
    Quote from Sixko

I agree with some of the others, I think shields will be more or less mandatory until you get enough armor and resists from your other gear to survive.

Quote from Riesza

Quote from djxt22

--

204 int should be equal to 6,37% resist, not 50%.
    To get to 50% resist from int alone you would need 3000 int.
    3000 armor would give you 50% damage reduction as well.

As for how they scale, see these graphs:

Graph for armor scaling
    http://www.armadagam...33&d=1331499739
    Graph for resist scaling
    http://www.armadagam...34&d=1331499773

Those are neat, thanks.
    ­
    I truly hope a shield isn't a requirement to be able to solo Inferno, being a matter of preference I take more joy in hackin' and slashin' my way with two mighty weapons than using a shield. Maybe there will be viable options for us die-hard dual wielders...
    It will be a matter of play style and build design. A shield will free up a skill from a passive defense which will give you more damage but a non shield will allow you to do more DPS!
    Quote from Horsefeathers

I truly hope a shield isn't a requirement to be able to solo Inferno, being a matter of preference I take more joy in hackin' and slashin' my way with two mighty weapons than using a shield. Maybe there will be viable options for us die-hard dual wielders...

Hehe, will depend on your gear.

With Highend gear you will be (most probably) able to solo inferno, just because you dps everything down, but at the beginning... Soloing inferno? Without a shield - no way, I'm damn sure! Shield boost your armor, and therefore survivalbility ennormous, without that you will just die (as for Jay Wilson).
    So farm highend gear or play in group :)
    Mess with the best, die like the rest

What do you think the strongest build for a shield Barbarian will be?
    I'm actually guttered there is no Shield Bash. One skill that Blizz need to add.
    I can think of so many runes for it...
    Quote from Poseido135

I'm actually guttered there is no Shield Bash. One skill that Blizz need to add.
    I can think of so many runes for it...

A skill that requires a certain item? I'm quite sure this is what they wanted to prevent.
    Black Swordsman
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes