Critique my Barb build - I dare you !

Ok guys, I've been lurking these forums for a long time. Now I want a say as well.

Bottom line is, that i think I have the perfect Barb build, and I'm looking for critique.

http://eu.battle.net...YXVP!dVU!ZaZccZ

The idea behind this is: Leap in and stun for 3 secs - Frenzy and Seismic Slam for dmg - Ground Stomp for 4 secs - Frenzy and Seismic Slam till the end. All this is backed up with Revenge.

It seems that the most fights in D3 doesn't last longer than about 10-15 secs. So having that 7 secs head start seems pretty sweet, and this is the main factor in the build. The defensive passives + the life leech passive hopefully makes it viable in Inferno.

My biggest worries in this build is the lack of dmg output and shout (It hurts my pride building a barb without a shout!)

FYI: I havent gotten lucky with a beta key, so this is purely based on theory.

Critique the build please - I dare you ! ;)
    I feel bad not leaving room for a shout in my barbarian build
    Stuns are going to be reduced in higher difficulties, so 7 seconds is definitely not how long they're going to be stunned. But it still seems like a pretty solid build.
    My place really was here. I was too foolish and stubborn to notice. But, what I truly hoped for then was here. Why do I always realize it When I've already lost it.
    Looks pretty good actually, although I would consider swapping out the Tough as Nails passive for Nerves of Steel or Juggernaut.
    Quote from Knucker

Stuns are going to be reduced in higher difficulties, so 7 seconds is definitely not how long they're going to be stunned. But it still seems like a pretty solid build.

Yea, i figured it would most likely be reduced. Only time will tell if it reduced to be worthless.

Quote from Anghkor

Looks pretty good actually, although I would consider swapping out the Tough as Nails passive for Nerves of Steel or Juggernaut.

On the Nerves of steel: Yea, maybe at the late stages it would be cost efficient getting the extra armor bonus equal to my vitality.
    On Juggernaut: Could be a good idea depending on the amount of impairing skills the mobs will have at later stages.

What do you guys think about switching the rune on Frenzy to smite giving more stun? maybe its not worth it because its single target?
    Personaly I think I would switch Frenzy for Cleave with Reaping Swing for more fury generation, and Seismic slam to Hammer of the Ancients with Thunderstrike. The result is mainly switching your fury generator to an AoE and your fury spender to a single target (Hammer of the Ancients doesn't have a large area of impact at all).

I've played beta and I'm not a fan of Frenzy to clear trash, it takes way too long to ramp up and be efficient. In inferno it might be different, but most of the fights in beta are vs 3 or more enemies, often more than 5. I like to cleave through them more than take them 1 at a time.

Btw are you going to dual wield or 2h with your build?
    Signature
    Quote from Thatyrael

Personaly I think I would switch Frenzy for Cleave with Reaping Swing for more fury generation, and Seismic slam to Hammer of the Ancients with Thunderstrike. The result is mainly switching your fury generator to an AoE and your fury spender to a single target (Hammer of the Ancients doesn't have a large area of impact at all).

I've played beta and I'm not a fan of Frenzy to clear trash, it takes way too long to ramp up and be efficient. In inferno it might be different, but most of the fights in beta are vs 3 or more enemies, often more than 5. I like to cleave through them more than take them 1 at a time.

Btw are you going to dual wield or 2h with your build?

Yea, I see your point. But i actually want to use a 1h and shield, and with a 1hander i think frenzy is better? Again, that being said, the skill tree as you know is flexible, so I can always switch my main fury generator depending on what i equip depending on my drops.

And I actually like the idea of Hammer of the Ancients with Thunderstrike. Hmm, good idea, looking forward to experiment with it.
    Well, first of all I don't see any synergy with frenzy/revenge with the rest of the build. Frenzy is pretty shitty for 90% of fights, it's really a single-target spell. Revenge procs off enemy hits, so having a CC build that uses it is silly. In fact, when it comes right down to it, this build has no damage unless you're popping wrath. There's no point stacking CC if you can't follow it up. Revenge isn't a followup, it doesn't proc unless they are hitting you, and frenzy is single target dps. Seismic slam is your only option, and it is expensive for it's damage output.

You also have tons of lifesteal, but you have stacked so much CC, why are you worried about taking damage? Further, you don't DEAL damage, so the lifesteal is doubly useless.

Theorycrafting is pretty worthless without being able to test anything, no one's build idea will survive inferno because none of them can take into account items, or monster group compositions, or champion affixes, or even how the abilities actually work until you try them.
    Considering you are going to keep everything stunned as long as possible i wouldn't use Revenge (if it works well you won't be hit very often) and i'd swap it with overpower-revel, and you will have a fixed good heal every 15 seconds (with revenge is quite randomized).

For passive i'd use Brawler instead of bloodthirst: this is to keep your damage very high with a lot of mobs around, with frenzy and overpower runed for life you should keep it up.
    You can use superstition (to reduce ranged damage too) instead of relentless (looking to your build you don't want to stay a lot of time under 20% hp); or for another boost to your dps weapons master

http://eu.battle.net...YXQP!gVe!ZaZccZ
    i dare you... EASY

lacking aoe damage that are not dependent on proc. will eventually put you in big trouble.

also, a stunned monster does not make you proc Revenge. and you lack aoe damage these seconds. you kinda single target monsters, and therefor wasting the stun that you use on all other monsters around you.

also, you leap->stun, THEN you use ground stomp and draw them closer... and stun them again.

consider leap "call of arreat"
    consider getting 1 REAL aoe ability that are not dependent on getting hit (you will NOT want to get hit that often in inferno)

-------------
    also, your passives seem just "trow together" picking 3 passives that are good in different ways. why not make them work for you? (Brawler? you got aoe stun for ... what reason?)
    Game Designer - Micro Design
    Not sure you'll have enough survivability with this build ;s
    There is no perfect build, just different play styles.
    Good lifesteal there, but I would take out the stunt as mobs are stupid and in inferno stunt is nerfed so probably not so effective way to buy time.
    I agree with the others: Too much defense, Skills don't synergize. Your build is probably the most useful for jumping in hordes of enemies and slaughtering them. However, even barbarians will need to proceed more tactically in the higher difficulties.
    • With revenge, you WANT enemies to hit you. Stunned enemies cannot attack you, making revenge less useful.
    • Defense is useless while the enemy is stunned.
    I like it, but i like visual abilities more.
    Quote from OmniNom

Well, first of all I don't see any synergy with frenzy/revenge with the rest of the build. Frenzy is pretty shitty for 90% of fights, it's really a single-target spell. Revenge procs off enemy hits, so having a CC build that uses it is silly. In fact, when it comes right down to it, this build has no damage unless you're popping wrath. There's no point stacking CC if you can't follow it up. Revenge isn't a followup, it doesn't proc unless they are hitting you, and frenzy is single target dps. Seismic slam is your only option, and it is expensive for it's damage output.

You also have tons of lifesteal, but you have stacked so much CC, why are you worried about taking damage? Further, you don't DEAL damage, so the lifesteal is doubly useless.

Theorycrafting is pretty worthless without being able to test anything, no one's build idea will survive inferno because none of them can take into account items, or monster group compositions, or champion affixes, or even how the abilities actually work until you try them.

This. Injected right into the eyeball. Nobody has said it better than Om so far.
    Seeing how a lot of people started talking about revenge, I guess the skill will be the cornerstone for a lot builds.
    I decided to create a last man standing barb build - please comment :D
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#acRVgk!VUg!bbZcbb
    Very good points guys, this is why I wanted you to critique it, so I could perfect it :) Here are my new and improved build:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#beYXQP!dVg!YaZccZ

I really get what you mean by Revenge not being very useful when my build is focused on stunning mobs. And the main lack of dmg output. Therefore I switched:

• Revenge for Overpower giving a AoE dmg skill.
    • Fury for Cleave for even more dmg and a bit AoE.
    • Relentless for Brawler for more dmg.

I think this is now a good balance between defensive CC and dmg output.

Any thoughts on the new and improved ? I dare you ;)

Quote from Psyclone
    Seeing how a lot of people started talking about revenge, I guess the skill will be the cornerstone for a lot builds. I decided to create a last man standing barb build - please comment :D http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#acRVgk!VUg!bbZcbb

Please start your own thread
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes