Hello everyone, Rankil here with a patch 2.4 guide for Season 5's conquest "The Thrill" and a Crusader build to beat it.
Since you need to complete two conquests to unlock your additional stash tab, I feel this conquest is most fun and challenging to do. To complete "The Thrill" a player must complete a greater rift 45 (Torment X equal) rift, without using set items. Unlike the Legacy of Nightmare set bonus, which allows you to wear set items as long as you don't wear more than 1, this conquest does not allow you to run any set items at all.
For this build, there is a list of required items that I feel are absolutely needed to complete this conquest. Recommended are desired items in the slot, but not necessarily needed. Adequate items will fill the roll and be a better choice if you can not get the suggested items. The primary stats to roll on all items will be Strength and Vitality to boost your DPS with thorns damage. Since thorns damage does not benefit from critical hit chance or critical hit damage, it is not needed for this build which eases the gearing requirements and allows for a more defensive build.
Overall, the build is heavily defensive in nature and relies more on passive damage of your skills and cooldowns and depending on heavy mitigation, high block rate, and life on hit to keep you alive. It's by no means meant to be the best/easiest, it's just a guide to show a bare minimum needed to complete the conquest if you don't have stellar gear. With a build similar to this, I was able to get rank 11 on the Season 5 conquest leaderboards with the RNG cards I was dealt the first night of the season.
Gameplay on this build is simple, gather up monsters in large groups surrounding your hero. Always use Punish on larger targets and let the Bombardment and Consecration with your thorns reflecting kill off the remaining enemies. Use your Steed Charge to find Pylons to summon a champ pack. Power, Speed, Channeling and Shielding shrines will all benefit killing monsters surrounding and give you more rift progress. If you spot a pylon, drag any mobs you can to before activating it.Gameplay
- Punish - Roar: A bit odd choice, this is chosen to help large group killing as opposed to single target boost that Celerity would give. 75% weapon damage doesn't seem like a lot, but hitting every enemy within a 15 yard radius adds up when you have close to 75% block and 20 enemies around you.
- Bombardment - Barrel of Spikes: This a large boost to burst damage and gains amazing synergy from Belt of the Trove to constantly give your enemies the Donkey Kong treatment.
- Laws of Valor - Answered Prayer: Keeping this buff active long enough for the cooldown to pop back up is rather easy. This is mainly used for single target DPS. If the build seems to be lacking defensive, Laws of Justice with Immovable Object or Decaying Strength are good laws to choose.
- Iron Skin - Reflective Skin: A staple for the Thornsader, increasing thorns damage by 300% gives you viable burst damage. Make sure to time the application of the buff when your physical rotation is up on your Convention of Elements.
- Consecration - Bed of Nails: Sharing the same 30 second cooldown timer of Iron Skin, apply this at the same time and stand inside to gain the benefit of health over time and constant damage to the enemy. With a boost from Iron Skin and Convention of Elements, the damage becomes a good AoE ability to enemies surrounding you.
- Steed Charge - Spiked Barding: I choose this strictly for mobility and closing the gaps between packs. Since time is against you and Nemesis Bracers make you out on the hunt for pylons throughout the rift, having a speed boost to remove yourself when surrounded and unable to pass through mobs if you do not have the Illusory Boots equipped.
- Indestructible - Having a cheat death is beneficial to completing the rift on time. Saving yourself from resurrection timers is time saved to complete the rift.
- Iron Maiden - A free boost of 50% to thorns, enough said.
- Renewal - Healing for 16,093 health per block really adds up with high mitigation that Crusaders have. This, combined with life on hit on gear will be keeping you alive.
- Hold Your Ground - 30% block gained helps reset cooldowns if you have an Akarat's Awakening or reduces incoming damage with Coven's Criterion. This also benefits with Renewal to help heal yourself more.