diablo 3 was unable to initialize 3d3

• I was playing no problem last night or anytime before. Shut down my computer last night and today I am getting this error message and cannot play without the screen flashing and lagging and eventually crashing.

What is going on?
  • ry8100,

Could you please post some information about your computer? You can find this information in the Direct X Diagnostic Tool:

Press Windows Key + R.
    Type DxDiag and press Enter.
    In the DxDiag window, at the bottom, click Save All Information.
    Name the file "dxdiag" and click Save. (note where it's been saved so you can find it)

Locate the Dxdiag.txt file just created and open it to copy and paste ALL of it's contents into your reply.
  • ry8100,

You're getting a TDR error condition according the last few errors shown in the dxdiag.

+++ WER1 +++:
    Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Pascal_3D, type 0

In general terms, this happens when the GPU doesn't respond quickly enough that it's finished a task give it by the CPU so the CPU resets the graphics driver to "wake it back up". This isn't so good when you happen to be playing a game.

There's an old Nvidia forum thread I like to provide people with to read so they can get a good understanding of what a TDR is, what can cause it, and what might fix it.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/389688/geforce-drivers/nvidia-statement-on-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

In my experience, the most common "fix" is under clocking the video card until it can play stably. It's not the best fix obviously as it will result in slightly reduced performance, but it's free to try. A new GTX 1060 shouldn't be defective but if it's factory or user over-clocked, it may need this to be stable.

Other than that, an overheating GPU can be a factor as can be an under-powered PSU in the system. Video drivers have also been know to cause it. Nvidia had made a lot of updates over the last couple of years and they've made a lot of attempts at reducing the frequency of this condition. It's not just Nvidia by the way, they can happen on any brand card and in any application.