Disconnection problems (Code 1016)

• Hi there everyone i bought the game about a month ago and everything was working perfectly until the first update came( I think it was just some minor update), I started getting disconnected saying that I lost my connection to the server but my connection was steady and good for the whole time. It didn't happened that much until the new Rise of Necromancer patch came up. Now after playing for 5 minutes I get the same screen plus when it puts me back on character select screen and a window pops up saying network problem "Code 1016". I can't play longer that 5 minutes without getting disconnected. If anyone has experience with this kind of problem and has a solution that would be great.

Let me add that I read some of the previous posts about this problem and you said that everyone make individual post about the problem because every individual might have different problem.
  • The code is a generic error it simply means you were disconnected. It doesn't tell us why so what might be causing it for one player may not be what causes it for your troubles.

Many times it is a connection issue but issues with the client, interference from other programs or in some cases driver/OS troubles can cause the client performance to drop to a point where it disconnects from the service.

Make Sure your OS and Video Drivers are up to date:

For AMD video cards go here.
    For Intel go here.
    For all Nvidia Video cards go here.

If you use an Nvidia GPU, please disable Nvidia Share. You can access this option through the Geforce Experience Desktop Application. Simply log into the application. Click on the gear symbol, scroll down to the Share Section and move the slider to off.

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 20 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use Google's free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers.

Let's reset the in game user options:
    1. Click the blue bnet icon on the bnet app.
    2. Choose settings, then game settings.
    3. Click the reset in game user options button under the correct game listing.
    4. Confirm the changes and close the window.

Run the Scan and Repair tool.

If you are on Windows 10, please disable the Game DVR (Please also disable GameBar and GameMode functions if you are on the Creators Build)

Try running your system in selective startup mode.

If that doesn't solve the issue let's get some connection data by running a WinMTR Test.
  • 07/01/2017 01:54 PMPosted by Princip
    I don't see the option to attach a file so here's my result from WinMTR Test:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | WinMTR statistics |
    | Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    | Melovic - 0 | 803 | 803 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 |
    |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
    WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

I tried all the things you mentioned in your reply and some additional that you didn't and still I get the DC errors. Got anything else?

It looks like your WinMTR got blocked at your modem. It only shows the connection hop within your network. I can say that portion looks ok but we can't see anything beyond that. Let's try clearing some game files and force a repair and see if that helps.

With the Game Client closed, Go into the Desktop application. Click options below the Diablo III logo. Choose show in Explorer then go into the \Diablo III\Data\data folder. Leave this window open and exit the desktop application. This next part is important. Delete only the files ending in .IDX - Do not delete any other files or you are removing and reinstalling the game from scratch. Once that is done, empty the recycle bin and restart the desktop app. It should recognize that the Diablo III files need to be checked and perform a scan and repair. Let it do it's thing. Once it is done, go into options within the Desktop applications, under Game Settings and reset the in game options for Diablo III. Click done and then try the game.

07/01/2017 07:23 PMPosted by Dekatron
    I've been having the same 1016 problem, but it's just with the Necro character. D3 works fine with my other characters. I tried all of Kershew's advice, but am still having the same issues. For what it's worth, here's the text from my WinMTR test:

:(
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | WinMTR statistics |
    | Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    | FIOS_Quantum_Gateway.fios-router.home - 100 | 45677 | 246 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 |
    |lo0-100.WASHDC-VFTTP-326.verizon-gni.net - 100 | 44860 | 247 | 6 | 9 | 45 | 9 |
    | B3326.WASHDC-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net - 100 | 45001 | 246 | 6 | 11 | 17 | 13 |
    | No response from host - 100 | 33102 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | 0.ae6.GW11.IAD8.ALTER.NET - 100 | 44996 | 246 | 6 | 10 | 40 | 10 |
    | teliasonera-gw.customer.alter.net - 100 | 39975 | 242 | 8 | 11 | 17 | 16 |
    | blizzard-ic-322964-ash-b1.c.telia.net - 100 | 44835 | 246 | 8 | 10 | 16 | 9 |
    | 37.244.4.33 - 100 | 44885 | 246 | 66 | 69 | 77 | 71 |
    | No response from host - 100 | 33096 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | No response from host - 100 | 33093 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | No response from host - 100 | 33096 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | 37.244.0.103 - 100 | 44898 | 246 | 66 | 70 | 75 | 68 |
    | 24.105.30.129 - 100 | 44926 | 246 | 66 | 70 | 77 | 73 |
    |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
    WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

It looks like you ran a very long WinMTR, We usually recommend about 10 minutes or so per test. Your test seems like it blocked or lost nearly every single packet it tried to sent. with only about 250 of 44k+ attempts making it back.

Your latency looks ok and because each hop is reporting the same loss of sorts I suspect this is just packet shaping from your Modem. With fios its not uncommon.

I recommend trying the same thing I mentioned above your quote. See if that helps. For anyone else having trouble, its important to try the steps I mentioned and return with the data I requested. The game and servers are running normally for the majority of players so we have to go through this process with the players who are having trouble to find the common thread and hopefully figure this out for you all.