Constant crashing after 5 min

• Hey there,

So since I got back to Diablo 3 in Jan I've been experiencing recurring crashes to desktop. The crashes consistently occur 5 minutes after starting the game (I haven't timed it to the second, but it always happens after I've been in game for 5 minutes). The crashes occurred no matter what my graphical settings are (I tried both lowering and increasing to no avail). After a crash the blizzard error reporter opens and says an unexpected error occurred (i.e. I get no error code).

Previously the game would crash like this once, then upon relaunch would run just fine for the rest of the session (even if that session lasted several hours). However, during this past week there have been several occasions when the game would not stop crashing no matter how many times I restarted the game (or the computer for that matter). I have been through tech support and tried all offered solutions, including re-updating my OS, resetting SMC, reinstalling D3 and the blizzard app and (of course) restarting my computer. None of this worked.

After getting increasingly frustrated by this problem I decided on a whim to launch Diablo 3 outside of the client, directly through terminal (this was a suggested solution to fixing the wrong region bug, reported here: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20753695395). To my surprise this seems to have stopped the game from crashing. I have since started the game several times this way and it's still running fine, even if the blizzard app was on in the background. Further attempts to start the game via the blizzard app client still leads to the game crashing. I even tried quitting the blizzard app upon launching D3 (both using the in-client option and by manually quitting the app), but the game still crashes.

I haven't seen any complaints even resembling the problems I have and as long as my work-around works I'm not in desperate need of a permanent fix. With that said, does anyone have even the slightest clue what might be causing this issue?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Processor): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP131.0205.B20
    SMC Version (system): 2.36f97
    Serial Number (system): C02SKGU3GVC1
    Hardware UUID: D07AB0C3-2D0B-5FA1-8314-80D914FD4523

Intel Iris Graphics 540:

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Graphics 540
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x1926
    Revision ID: 0x000a
    Metal: Supported
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
    Resolution: 2560 x 1600 Retina
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
    Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Software Overview:

System Version: macOS 10.12.5 (16F73)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 16.6.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Boot Mode: Normal
    Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
    System Integrity Protection: Enabled
    Time since boot: 1:56
  • Hey Chibibabo,

That is odd that Diablo III is crashing when launched from the App. Wondering if there are damaged files that the App would use. There are some App files that are not deleted during a normal uninstall. I want to make sure they are removed and then a fresh copy of the app is installed.