Error Code 2; unable to connect after GPU update

  • Hi there,

    So I've been encountering a number of latency issues with the game in the past couple of weeks, and I've seen some of them described in other threads:

    rubber-banding, unresponsive enemies and allies while I can still move, and unresponsive salvage buttons in town for seconds at a time.

    These issues are sometimes worse or better based on the day, and I've tried a number of fixes:

    -reboot router & local computer multiple times.
    -connect to other games: SC2, Hots, and Hearthstone all worked fine
    -update drivers (most were already up to date)
    -pathping tests to the D3 server, with 0% or 1% packet loss depending on the test
    -disable wlan autoconfig scanning
    -release/renew/flushdns commands

    Nothing seemed to have a lasting impact: things might flow for a bit, then would lock up and go into the stop-and-start cycle. I'd run around, fight a few things, and then enemies would stop fighting back for a while. Sometimes They'd come back to life in a second or two, other times more than 10 seconds would pass until either I or everything on the screen was dead (usually the former).

    Next step I took was to try updating the GPU. Now I can't connect to the D3 or SC2 servers (Hots and hearthstone still work). When I try, I get an Error Code 2 (or occasionally EC 1). I rolled back the GPU update and still cannot connect. For more information, I have included a recent WinMTR run:

    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | WinMTR statistics |
    | Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    | 192.168.0.1 - 18 | 74 | 61 | 2 | 296 | 4505 | 4364 |
    | 96.120.64.153 - 21 | 72 | 57 | 9 | 183 | 4363 | 4363 |
    | 68.85.184.93 - 21 | 74 | 59 | 8 | 194 | 3779 | 2642 |
    | be-1-sur02.malden.ma.boston.comcast.net - 21 | 72 | 57 | 9 | 187 | 4363 | 4363 |
    |be-50-ar01.needham.ma.boston.comcast.net - 23 | 70 | 54 | 10 | 91 | 3769 | 49 |
    |be-7015-cr02.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net - 21 | 74 | 59 | 20 | 215 | 4240 | 2686 |
    |be-10396-pe01.60hudson.ny.ibone.comcast.net - 21 | 74 | 59 | 16 | 147 | 3789 | 45 |
    | 173.167.57.150 - 18 | 78 | 64 | 17 | 206 | 4255 | 2670 |
    | 37.244.3.33 - 21 | 73 | 58 | 91 | 220 | 4484 | 4484 |
    | No response from host - 100 | 28 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | No response from host - 100 | 28 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
    | 37.244.0.103 - 20 | 70 | 56 | 0 | 435 | 4604 | 4484 |
    | 24.105.30.129 - 22 | 69 | 54 | 0 | 373 | 4602 | 4482 |
    |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
    WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

    Clearly some dead cogs in the chain now, but I'm not sure what I can do about that on my end. Is there something else that I am missing? I would appreciate any insights that you can offer. If there are any other details that would be helpful to share, please let me know.

    PC components:
    i5-7500
    GTX 1060-6gb
    16gb ram
    240gb ssd
    Windows 10 OS
  • Hey there KumaSensei,

    Sorry to hear about the connectivity issues that you've been seeing recently. The WinMTR test that you ran is showing some pretty major issues unfortunately.

    | 192.168.0.1 - 18 | 74 | 61 | 2 | 296 | 4505 | 4364 |
    | 96.120.64.153 - 21 | 72 | 57 | 9 | 183 | 4363 | 4363 |
    | 68.85.184.93 - 21 | 74 | 59 | 8 | 194 | 3779 | 2642 |


    So the test was not run for very long it looks like, but even with this small sample size we can get an idea of how the connection is behaving. Keep in mind this test doesn't represent your connection to any one game or service, but rather just the internet connection as a whole. On the first "hop", which is the connection between your PC and router, it measured around 18% packet loss. 296ms was the average latency and 4505ms (over 4 second response time) was the worst recorded.

    I'm going to assume that you are using a wireless connection due to the results that are showing up. So if that is true then there appears to be some pretty big stability issues occurring in the very first part of the connection between PC and router. If you have the ability to connect to the router via a wired connection I would highly recommend that, as that may make these issues go away completely.

    Something else to keep in mind is that no every game to is going to handle the network connection in the same manner. So while you might be able to log in and play one game without noticing an issues, that might not be the case with another game just due to the differences in how data is sent/received in the network layer of each game.

    If wireless is absolutely your only option then you will likely need to troubleshoot the wireless, which is not something that we can help you with directly I'm afraid. You could try changing the wireless band you are connecting to (2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz) or logging into the router to change the wireless channel that is being broadcast. I would recommend contacting the router manufacturer or your internet provider if you need assistance with trying those.

    Hopefully this info helps!