Constantly Disconnecting

• Ive been browsing the forums for a fix, have tried everything ive seen recommended by tech support, and nothing seems to work.

Ip renewed and flushed, AV off/on makes no difference, and the disconnects are progressively getting worse.

I play for approximately 5 mins now and I get disconnected, a few days ago I played for hours on end with no issue, Ive played for months previous without issue.

As I said, from a few days ago, playing for hours on end no issue, to about every 20 mins disconnect, and now 5 mins or less.

There are plenty of topics on the same subject, and every suggested remedy seems to fail. What the hell is the problem?
  • Hey there kez1147,

Sorry to hear that you're disconnecting pretty frequently. We definitely monitor the health of the Blizzard network and the game servers to ensure that there aren't issues causing players to experience lag or get disconnected. At the moment I haven't seen anything widespread that would indicate this is something on our end, but it is possible that the connection is being dropped at any one of the points between your PC and the servers.

One thing that I would recommend, if you're playing on a wireless connection try swapping to a wired to see if that makes the disconnections go away. This is an easy way to narrow down the issue and eliminate the wireless if you are currently using wifi.

We'd want to run some connection tests to collect data and figure out where in the path the issue is likely happening. To do that we can use a program called WinMTR that allows you to monitor the connection over a longer period of time.

1. Download WinMTR
    2. Right-click on the downloaded .zip folder and select "Extract All", to extract the files to a new folder.
    3. Open the new folder that was created, then open the WinMTR_x32 folder.
    4. Right-click on the WinMTR application and select "Run as administrator".
    5. Type the IP address 24.105.30.129 in the "Host" field.
    6. Click on "Start" and then launch the game. Allow the test to run for at least 10 minutes. Click on "Stop" when you’re done playing after you have experienced the latency or connection issue.
    7. Click on "Export TEXT" to save the results as a text document, then post the results.
  • Hey again kez1147,

Thanks for running the WinMTR. What Maskraider mentioned is correct here. Your connection is experiencing packet loss (4%) and latency spikes (290ms) between your PC and router. Any amount of packet loss can cause disconnections, and not all games are equally affected by dropped packets.