[Affix Bug] "+%Damage" and "+(X-Y)"

• Hey there,

I am sure this bug is known as it has been around since beta but it's really starting to become a problem with the AH no longer existing to fix the problem.

The problem --
    On weapons, the affix "+X% Damage" does not affect the affix "+(A-B)<Element> Damage" when <Element> is anything other than "black" or "no-element" damage.

This causes the +X% damage affix to under perform in almost all cases.

Take the item Wildwood as an example --
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/wildwood

This item rolls with +(A-B) Poison Damage & +X% Damage

Because +X% Damage does not work with +(A-B) Poison Damage, this weapon will consistently have lower DPS than if it had +(A-B) Physical Damage with the exact same range.

I am sure this is not intended but it's causing a lot of strife when people re-roll their weapon primary to +10% Damage and DO NOT see a 10% increase in weapon DPS.

It also HIGHLY undervalues all +(A-B)<Element> Damage affixes that don't happen to roll as Physical or Black damage which should not be the case. A player should not be penalized for having a Fire weapon simply because the +X% Damage affix is bugged.

The Solution --
    This one is extremely simple ... make +X% Damage apply to ALL elements not just Physical/Black damage.

Note --
    I am certain you care a LOT less about this as you have removed the affix from the game for RoS items ... but the affix "Adds +X% to <element> damage" as found on 1.0.8 SoJ's, Inna's Belts ... ect. ALSO only affects Black or Physical Weapon damage causing these items to increase your DPS by FAR less than would be intuitive.

I know this affix is pretty non-intuitive to begin with and so it has been removed ... but fixing it wouldn't HURT my feelings! :D

Anyways ... thanks!

<3
  • 04/02/2014 10:00 AMPosted by riggy
    I wish they would let us know if it's a bug or intentional.

Definitely not intentional.

We are currently working on a fix for this and hope to have it out to you guys as soon as possible. I can't really make promises as to when or how (patch or hotfix) said fix will arrive but it's something we are aware of and are working on.

Thanks for the report, Druin (and everyone else!)
  • 04/08/2014 10:05 AMPosted by Ramza
    any idea if the current patch addresses this issue?

This did not make this patch, unfortunately. I have however added it to the known issues list as we do expect a fix in another upcoming patch.
  • 04/08/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Ramza
    Thanks for the quick reply Tsarnis - any idea if the fix will be applied to current items upon patch or will we have to re-enchant them to get the %+ buff?

To be honest, I am not 100% sure. I'll talk to the designers and let you guys know when I find out.

In general, item changes do not have retroactive effect on items that already exist in the game world. That said though, due to the nature of this particular bug, issues with existing items may be resolved when this fix goes live. If you've got something particularly good that would benefit from this fix, I'd say hang onto it for now.

I'll come back here and let you know what I find out, so you can commence the salvaging or continue the hoarding, whatever the case may be :P
  • Hi Guys,

I just wanted to pop in here and let you know that we have a potential fix in place for this internally and it is currently looking like this fix will retroactively apply to existing weapons. While we will not be able to deploy this as a hotfix, we currently expect this fix to make it to live servers with our next game patch. I obviously can't make promises as to when that patch will arrive, but it is something we are actively working on, and we hope to be able to get that deployed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for all of your reports. I know it took me a bit of time to get back to you, but your patience is greatly appreciated!