Screen going black

• Randomly running through the dungeons with a group of people and my screen blacks out. All my drivers are up to date and I don't think my card is overheating.. I turned all my settings to low and it is still doing it... I'm having to completely restart my computer each time it happens.. anyone else experiencing this or no what I would have to do ?
  • Hey Josh,

Would you mind posting your system specs here for me? You can find out how to obtain your system files here.

Along with that, what resolution are you attempting to run the game at? Aside from updating your drivers and lowering the graphics, are there any other steps you've taken?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Have feedback for me? Click here!
  • Josh,

What you're describing may be a TDR error (Timeout Detection and Recovery) for which troubleshooting can be difficult. First though, you would want to confirm this is what you're in fact getting.

To do that, you'll look in the Event Viewer. This is accessible in the Control Panel under the Administrative Tools. Double click on Event Viewer, Then open the Windows Logs group on the upper left side, then click on System. Scroll through the entries and look for any with a red exclamation mark or look for the entries that occurred at the same time you saw the screen go blank if you remember the time.

We need to know what Windows has recorded for the event.

What you're describing may be a TDR error (Timeout Detection and Recovery) for which troubleshooting can be difficult. First though, you would want to confirm this is what you're in fact getting.

To do that, you'll look in the Event Viewer. This is accessible in the Control Panel under the Administrative Tools. Double click on Event Viewer, Then open the Windows Logs group on the upper left side, then click on System. Scroll through the entries and look for any with a red exclamation mark or look for the entries that occurred at the same time you saw the screen go blank if you remember the time.

We need to know what Windows has recorded for the event.

• That's fine! Glad to hear it seems to be stabalizing out. Keep us updated if anything new happens!

• Changing the Hardware Class down to a lower value is something that's been helping people that find their pcs/gpus severely stressed by the Soul Crucible event to the point their pcs often shut down completely or reboot. That symptom doesn't really fit the "black screen" reports but this may indeed be a temporary workaround until we get a handle on what's causing it for some people.

For any that would like to try, the D3Prefs.txt file is what needs editing. There's a line in there for the Hardware Class. Lowering the value to 2 would be a good place to start.

The file is located in the My Documents\Diablo III folder.

Make sure the game is closed before editing the file.