Latest Patch: Good Stuff!

• Damage increase: Awesome. It's too easy to go all dps right now in T1. Pure dps is boring and stale, now I might have a reason to put in some defense into my builds.

Barb changes:
    Good to see bash and cleave damage gap widened. Previously there was no reason to use cleave over bash, since it was superior for multi-target, and it did equivalent damage singe target, which should not be. Now, bash is clearly better for single target, as it should be. Bravo.

Why the fury nerfs? I thought fury was in a pretty good place. Then again, I never went for the limitless fury build on live, so I'm an atypical barb player. Was the bonus fury so good that it was considered "mandatory"?

A lot of people are really aggravated, and I have an idea why: many of them do not know how to really "play" a barb. The barb, IMO, is designed so that you need some fury gen besides your primary, typically in the form of an "opener", like leap/furious charge/warcry etc. The barb is very unique in this game in that you are not supposed to start a fight at max resource, you're supposed to build up resource, then unload it in large attacks. That's very different from all the other classes, even the monk.

People have become so accustomed to the unlimited fury gameplay, that when they try to build and play the barb as it is supposed to be played, it feels clunky and slow. That's totally normal. What might help some people who are unhappy with the barb as he is right now is to ask themselves "is the barb broken, or is it simply not for me?". There are still some issues with the barb, to be sure, but he is a lot closer to ideal on PTR than he is on live, so only expect more of the same for future changes.

Monk:
    Yay deadly reach buff! Before, the knock up chance was so low as to trivial. Now it actually matters. In fact, 50% may be a bit too much. We'll see.

Wiz:
    Woooo ray of frost buff! Definitely needed it. Just one problem: sleet storm is still only 375% wep damage. Going from 510% base to 375% is a major loss of damage, just to make it self-target AOE. Maybe you missed it when you went over the changes?

Overall great changes! Now, will you kindly bring Tasker and Theo back up to 100% pet speed? Do that , we'll be ready for release!
  • 02/13/2014 10:23 AMPosted by Tinaktu
    Damage increase: Awesome. It's too easy to go all dps right now in T1. Pure dps is boring and stale, now I might have a reason to put in some defense into my builds.

This is probably one of my favorite changes recently made to PTR and closed beta. I tend to build my characters defensively and this change made me feel like I was doing the right thing by doing so.

02/13/2014 10:23 AMPosted by Tinaktu
    Why the fury nerfs? I thought fury was in a pretty good place. Then again, I never went for the limitless fury build on live, so I'm an atypical barb player. Was the bonus fury so good that it was considered "mandatory"?

A lot of people are really aggravated

I think I'm going to play my Barbarian over the weekend to get a feel for these recent changes. It's one of my favorite classes, but I've been focused on other characters for a long time now.
  • I didn't get as much time in with my Barbarian as I would've liked, but I did tune the difficulty up when I did play so that resource management played more of a role. I feel like I have a better grasp of some of the feedback that I've seen as a result, and I'll be sure to elaborate on some of those details when I'm passing that info along.
  • 02/18/2014 03:35 PMPosted by Gantz
    good. is anyone in the team caring to do the same with DH's? after the several unwanted nerfs we kinda starting to feel stranded in an ocean of sadness and self-commiseration.

We do our best as a team to have a solid understanding of the issues each class faces, and we play everything between us (Demon Hunter certainly included). We talk a lot about various highlights or struggles we encounter while playing our characters in both single and multiplayer games, and in different difficulty settings. We also keep a pretty close eye on class feedback even if we don't always comment on it, so be sure to keep letting us know what your experiencing with your hero.