[Level Scaling] Insane Monster Exp Nerf for lvl 60 Players

• With the new level scaling feature there are no more lvl 63 monsters to fight for lvl 60 players. But this also effects the experience the monsters give.

I took a look at the act 1 monsters.

Live Server Goatman MP1 lvl 63 gives 5625 Exp (with MP bonus of 25%)
    So the base of this guy is 4500 Exp.

PTR Server Goatman Normal gives 1550 Exp.

Thats just 1/3 Exp of the live server!

On top of that there is a huge nerf to monster density on PTR, around 1/4 to 1/5 of Goatman running around. (yes there are other monsters too, same applies)

And on Top of THAT! ^.^
    Torment 2 is a slightly bit about MP10 and just gives 400% bonus Exp compared to MP10 on live with 510% (a bit nitpicking one). So effective 500% vs 610%. (its 100%+bonus)

Because all of those are multiplicative with each other the PTR is just at around:

Monster Exp Nerf 0.33
    Monster Density Nerf 0.25
    Difficulty Exp Nerf 0.82

Thats 0.06765 or 7% of live servers EXP.

WHAT!?
  • We agree that Paragon leveling right now is a bit too slow. We're currently in the process of iterating on Paragon level experience and how much is needed to gain additional levels. The plan is to reduce the amount necessary to level, and in addition, increasing the amount of experience gained per monster kill.
  • 01/21/2014 10:45 PMPosted by Starbird
    Nev, I'm not encouraged by you saying 'a bit' here.

"A bit" wasn't really the best phrase for me to use here. It's an adjective phrase that works its way into my speech too frequently, and I didn't catch myself here. Sorry about that. =(

In addition, I want to clarify that I misread how this tuning was being approached, though the overall goal is the same (i.e. quicker Paragon leveling). The amount of experience needed to gain Paragon levels was actually doubled - however, experience gained per monster kill was drastically increased and outweighs this by a significant margin. To give you a rough estimate, overall you should find that Paragon leveling will be approximately six times faster. I also want to stress that this is an overarching change, and you'll find that this change impacts the speed of gaining higher Paragon levels more than it does lower ones.
  • 01/22/2014 03:36 PMPosted by Saidosha
    Will this then mean that paragon EXP currently acquired will result in a lower plvl with the next PTR update due to the requirement doubling?

Paragon level is calculated by raw total experience across all of your characters (with separate pools for Normal and Hardcore), so I don't believe you'll see a drop.

01/22/2014 08:09 PMPosted by Starbird
    Is this something we will see in the next build or will it be a hotfix?

This will require a patch.

01/22/2014 04:56 PMPosted by Bani
    So when you say Paragon leveling is six times faster...six times faster than what? Six times faster than Live?

Six times faster than the current PTR/Beta build. Sorry for not clarifying sooner! It's a little hard to compare this system to the live environment because in the new system, you can surpass Paragon 100. As I mentioned before, it's much easier to notice the increase in leveling speed the higher Paragon level you attain.

*Edit* Also, Wyatt's one-upped me and given much more detailed information here. ;P