Is the number of monsters / big packs ever gonna change

• I had stopped Diablo 3 for a year and came back to it to try the PTR. Although I had fun first 30 levels in Master Mode, I realized quite fast the number of monsters and big packs of monsters is not enough, just like it was when I left. After the 30th level they don't have enough life either. All in all, I think they deal enough damage in Master Mode though. It's just they die too fast from lvl 30 in PTR Master Mode.

Well then, I guess there's a matter of balancing experience given by monsters if Blizz adds some... but that's not our trouble.

What do you think ? Do you feel there are enough packs to your satisfaction ? Isn't the land desert most of the time ? Aren't packs usually too small ? Like 6 creatures, every now and then. Sometimes eventually some fun with two large packs combined. Sometimes two packs of champions combined. I feel like the packs of champions are well distributed, but not the normal packs of monsters & normal monsters.

We should be afraid to die every two or three encounters.
  • While I've certainly seen other discussions on this particular topic (and have made sure all that feedback has been passed on to our developers), I'd like to use this one as a springboard to get some targeted opinions.

So, highlighting Lyth's questions:

01/03/2014 03:50 PMPosted by Lyth
    What do you think ? Do you feel there are enough packs to your satisfaction ? Isn't the land desert most of the time ? Aren't packs usually too small ? Like 6 creatures, every now and then. Sometimes eventually some fun with two large packs combined. Sometimes two packs of champions combined. I feel like the packs of champions are well distributed, but not the normal packs of monsters & normal monsters

And adding some of my own:

• Do you feel that monster density is too high, too low, or at a good place on the PTR right now?
      • For normal monsters?
      • For Champion and Elite packs?

If you answered "too low":
    • Do you feel the density is too low for leveling a new character, playing at max level, or both?
    • Where is the lower density most noticeable for you (in terms of Acts and/or specific zones)?

• Is there any solution outside strictly raising the density that would make your experience more fun? For example:
        • Making the monsters more difficult or giving them more health
        • Redistributing the current density in a different way

• Have you adapted your hero's build at all on the PTR as a result of the change to monster density?
        • If so, how?

• Why do you dislike the lower density?
        • Similarly, why did you like the higher density better?

PS - Great thread! :)
    • Density is too low for trash mobs pretty much everywhere. I quit playing PTR after a few days because of it.

Would you mind answering my follow up questions? It'll help me better understand why you feel the way you do. (As a super super basic analogy to help explain why the extra info is meaningful: "I don't like this red dress" isn't as helpful as "I don't like this red dress because it doesn't fit well and I prefer the color blue.")

Same applies to anyone else who weighs in. Thanks!
    • Thanks all! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread over the weekend.
    • Lots of great responses in here, and still parsing through quite a few of them.

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in, as well as to those who've contributed similar feedback in other threads (note: just because I started this discussion doesn't mean I ignored or didn't see your posts).

01/06/2014 06:39 AMPosted by GenghisKhan
      I started reading your post and thought, you know, their solution will be to make the monsters harder. I kept reading and sure enough, here it is.

Beating on a monster longer does not make it fun. It just makes it longer

For clarity, that wasn't my solution (or the developers' solution). It was just example of a possible response, albeit one based on previous feedback I'd seen on the topic.
    • Just wanted to sincerely thank everyone for contributing to what has turned into a really great discussion. Your responses have given me loads of additional info to provide to the developers (e.g. details that give context to your earlier threads about density as well as more insight into what your experiences have been on the PTR thus far and what you'd ideally like to see), which I'm sure they'll appreciate.

Keep it comin'.

Here's Raticus's post I referred to: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11040554795

Perfect, thanks!