#1 - 2012/09/13 09:18:00 AMTEMPEST RUSH GUIDE 1.08 MONK TR BUILDS & GUIDE
This guide is in 3 sections, from the most advanced topics to the most basic topics:
Section 1: Demonic Essence & Legendary Farming
Section 2: XP Farming (updated for 1.08)
Section 3: General Guide and Credits
Section 1, 1.07 DEMONIC ESSENCE & LEGENDARY FARMING
The 1.07 buff to Wave of Light has opened great possibilities for farming medium & high MP levels for legendary items and Demonic Essences.
If you are low on spirit, Exalted Soul could replace Fleet Footed in any of these setups:
This is for lower MP levels, where thunderclap and cyclone can still deliver decent damage if needed. Some prefer BoH/Blazing Wrath instead of Serenity, but I find dying even once to be extremely inefficient. For SW, Inner Storm is also extremely effective. Some people are also having success with Cyclone Strike on lower MPs.
This is for higher MP levels, where thunderclap does negligible damage.
The higher the MP level, the more you would need:
- Immunity through serenity or SSS
- Higher damage through MOC/Overawe
- More spirit generation through SW/Inner Storm and FT/Quickening, as our primary attacks do insignificant damage anyway
Thanks to jihn, Armeleon, JonoL and the Monk community for their insights about different WoL builds.
ROUTE FOR MOST ELITES / MINUTE
TR from group to group, skip trash mobs for DE farming, use Wave of Light on elites, repeat:
- Black Canyon Mines - elites
- Vault of the Assassin - DE & elites
- Road to Alcarnus (east) - elites
ESTIMATED BREAKPOINTS MP 1-5
100k dps: mp 1 - 2
125k dps: mp 2 - 3
150k dps: mp 3 - 4
175k dps: mp 4 - 5
Test for yourself which mp level is best for you, as it will take more time in higher mp levels. I have found MP5 the most efficient for my 165k dps using this build:
MP 6-10 LEGENDARY FARMING
The best location is Crypt of the Ancients:
-> The Broken Blade, Talk to Alaric -> TP to Drowned Temple -> Find Crypt of the Ancients to get the checkpoint
Clear area, exit and resume game.
Allow casters time to make as many skeletons as possible by targeting the elite first.
The key to determining your optimal MP level is at which point you can one shot skeletons with your wave of light. I found MP 8 to be the most efficient for my 165k dps using this build:
Alternatively, if you want to do MP10, you could simply skip the Elites.
MP 10 COOP BUILD
Thanks to Armeleon for providing the following build, which provides the best team support for coop play:
If you need to play a bit more defensively, serenity can be brought in to replace SW/Inner Storm (or even EP). Of the passives, I believe that Exalted Soul is the most important to keep the build viable. The buff to Guiding Light in 1.08 also makes it a strong candidate for coop builds.
On mid/upper MPs, an excellent coop build would switch out Exploding Palm for Wave of Light as follows:
Section 2, 1.08 XP FARMING
BEST MP TO FARM
Act 3 at mp0 is still easy for almost any Monk to break the 50 million xp per hour mark, without OWE or life steal or life on hit. And with the multiplicative nature of NV stacks for xp in 1.08, this means that longer routes on higher MPs will yield better results. Therefore, once you get the hang of the TR build, track your efficiency as you increase MP levels.
The budget to get setup in this TR build is between 25 to 50 million, depending on your current gear and budget.
- Inna Set: low end, helm with 2+ spirit regen
- Stone of Jordan: 2+ spirit regen, bonus sweeping wind damage or tempest rush preferred
- Skorn: about 1400 dps, 300+ dex, 160+ crit damage, socket.
- 250 minimum all resist, and 325 preferred
- 25k – 30k health
- pickup radius for health globes: Skorn with Life Steal is far too costly and still won’t be enough to get through all elites without serenity
- Shoulders: Vile Ward
- Bracers: Strongarm Bracers with All Resist
- Boots: +movement speed (I recommend that you save up for the Nat boots with Nat ring for 7% cc set bonus)
- switch out as many IAS items as possible for items with similar overall dps
- I do not recommend the xephirian amulet for spirit regen as amulet’s can be a massive source of dps.
- Aim for a spirit generation of 4.2 from the Stone of Jordan and Inna helm to get to 11 spirit per second with passives and templar's inspire, although less will do fine as a start.
- To search for Stone of Jordan, search for "armor -> all armor item types", then select "spirit regeneration" and "bonus vs elites"
At 100 - 125k dps:
Tempest Rush crits do spawn cyclones, but they are not the key for this build to work, especially with the slow attack speed of the Skorn. The key is having enough damage (through MoC/Submission and SW/FireStorm) that you are doing damage to mobs before reaching them and after passing them as well. This will require some mouse repositioning to get more than 1 hit on each mob and stops to 1 shot mobs with high health.
MP0 is the most efficient here. All smaller mobs will melt, and you have the choice to leave behind larger enemies, or kill them if spirit is low. Don’t backtrack or bother with a few stragglers that didn’t die with your first pass.
One option for the primary attack is Deadly Reach/Foresight for the extra buff, but I found it to be a bit clumsy to keep up that buff every 30 seconds and its attack speed is quite slow on elites, so I still recommend FoT/Thunderclap.
If you can’t afford all resist gear yet, switch in OWE for either Exalted Soul or Chant of Resonance.
If you prefer higher spirit regeneration, this build will work, but it will do lower damage:
At 150 – 175k dps:
These are alternatives for the MP0 or MP1 setup… switching to Mantra of Healing/Circular Breathing keeps your spirit up even using Breath of Heaven/Blazing Wrath every 45 seconds. Importantly, fleet footed can now be easily used instead of exalted soul without running low on spirit. If you do not need serenity for most elites, then switch to SSS/Sustained Attack to speed up elite kills.
ROUTE FOR BEST XP / HR
While monster density will open many new possible routes, I will keep the example from act 3:
- skycrown battlements
- * rakkis crossing
- * keep depths 2
- arreat creater 2
- tower of the damned 1
I usually add several more, as it doesn’t reduce my efficiency too much, and I already have 5 stacks of NV.
ANOTHER GOOD TR GUIDE
Druin is great with numbers and has a few different build options.
Section 3 has been moved to here http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5335593551?page=1#3