My concerns about HC RoS

• Hi guys and gals,

I switched to playing HC months ago and when the RoS announcement first came out I told everyone I'd be playing HC right away when the patch drops.

That has changed and I'll explain why...

GAME MECHANICS
    Before we can safely play hardcore we need to understand how all the mechanics work. Even items as simple as potions are different. Probably for the better but still different. Until we can adjust to these slight changes we are putting ourselves at risk.

LIFE STEAL
    We are too comfortable with this and until we learn to life without ls we are bound to put our characters in a spot they shouldn't be in.

LEVEL DIFFICULTY
    The change from MP to normal-torment is really going to trip me up. I know what mp Id be able to handle but what level of difficulty will we test this out? One slip up and you're toast.

SERVER STABILITY
    With many old members coming about there are bound to be additional lag and we are going to suffer the most.

Because of these reasons I will most likely start out playing soft core for 1-3 months then switch back to HC. I think my characters will thank me.

MoonWater
  • Personally, I plan on playing it safe when the expansion goes live. Rushing into an expansion on a higher difficulty is a little like aiming Vault into unexplored areas of your map.
  • And what's wrong with Vaulting into unexplored territory? :P

Nothing if you don't mind a dirt nap!

I found Reaper of Souls has a greater tendency to lull me into illusions of safety (and then drop the hammer when I'm unsuspecting) than the current live game. I'm used to playing on MP10, but it didn't take long before Master difficulty wasn't comfy. Also, I should admit that I'm talking about my Normal mode character here, but I play it like it's Hardcore.

I recently swapped focus to my Hardcore character in the beta, and am currently leveling from 60 to 70. The first few levels are easy, but somewhere around mid 60's the difficulty starts getting more unpredictable. We'll have to wait and see how things pan out after some tuning passes, but I think it's worth mentioning to the Hardcore community that the difficulty settings may not be as straight forward as they seem. I know it's part of the fun, but it's good to know when the road might get rocky too.