What are the alignments of the classes?

• My best guesses are as follows:
    Monk: Lawful Good
    Demon Hunter: Good
    Wizard: Chaotic Good
    Witch Doctor: Good
    Barbarian: Neutral Good
  • I took a crack at this in another thread. Here's what I originally suggested (keeping note that this is a personal opinion):

Monk: Lawful Good
    Barbarian, Demon Hunter: Chaotic Neutral
    Wizard, Witch Doctor: True Neutral
    Crusader (for bonus points!): Neutral Good

Mind you, I think these choices might vary depending on the gender of each character you play. They all react a bit differently to certain conversations and events. For reference, my Nephalem are Female for the Monk, Demon Hunter, Witch Doctor, and Barbarian, and Male for the Wizard. In addition, remember that alignment is an extremely subjective mechanic, primarily because it can be interpreted very differently from person to person. Some consider it rules that you must absolutely adhere to, while others may see it more as a generalization.

It's a system that I don't think lends itself too well to the Diablo universe. I wouldn't say there's a one "true" answer to this question, but it's definitely interesting to hear others' thoughts on why they think a character adheres to a particular alignment. As an avid tabletop nerd, I'd love to hear your reasoning. =)
  • 10/23/2013 06:51 PMPosted by bearr
    I have no idea what chaotic good or neutral good is... Is it supposed to make sense?

So, what I'm referring to is a two-axis alignment system, commonly found in table-top pen and paper RPGs (or their video game counterparts).

The first axis measures a character's capacity for Law or Chaos. The three denominations are Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic. Lawful characters are generally predictable and adhere to a code of some kind, either literally (like a town's laws or a code of chivalry), or personally. Chaotic characters are generally unpredictable, and tend to take the path of least resistance for just about every situation.

The second axis measures a character's capacity for Good or Evil. That's pretty straightforward, but it also has three denominations: Good, Neutral, or Evil. So in all, there are nine alignments.

That's a very rudimentary explanation (there's certainly much more depth to be explored), but I hope it gets the basic point across. =)

10/23/2013 09:14 PMPosted by DrothVader
    Personally I would have guessed Chaotic Good for the Crusader as they are pretty zealous.

Crusaders are extremely devoted to their cause, and their methods are occasionally a bit more unconventional than others. However, that isn't to say they are vehemently against what they are told to do - their entire quest occurred because they were issued an order, and they stick to that order no matter the cost. That's what leads me to believe they fall in between law and chaos, rather than one side of the spectrum.

Again, that's a personal interpretation. But that's the inherent nature of the alignment system, it's all a matter of interpretation, as the alignments are "guidelines" rather than rules to adhere to (kind of like the Pirate Code).

10/24/2013 07:38 AMPosted by Godric
    I thought it'd be really funny to take this a step further with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality system, but after some research I decided that would just be way too freakin hard.

It would be difficult, but definitely interesting! These kind of psychological studies have always been intriguing to me.