The game is deeper than loot..

• What aspect of the game do you think needs to be deepened, or have more added to besides loot?

For me it is the leveling system. This is with regards to your character, monsters and item levels.

What is one really important aspect of the game that you would like to see improved?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts: (Edited for clarity 24/10/13)

TL;DR:
      - The game shouldn't start when we hit max level.
      - The max level shouldn't be required to do everything.
      - Points should be allocated per level, not post max level.
      - There should be a limit per points per character. The ability to max all stats is an illusion of choice and will make all characters the same.
      - Characters should feel much more progression through leveling up than just a ding at max level.

The game shouldn't start when you hit max level. There needs to be some feeling of accomplishment along the way, as well as other things to do while we level up. The paragon system, and even the 2.0 system just perpetuate the problem by making people race to the max level before they start getting bonuses per level. The bonuses should be baked into our character leveling. We also shouldn't be allowed to max absolutely everything, that just takes away from choice. It gives us the illusion of choice until we are able to max everything out.

Our characters should not be required to hit the maximum level to play in the highest difficulty, nor should it be easy to reach the max level. There should be some major rewards along the way for leveling too, mostly through quests that could only be done once per difficulty.

TL;DR - Suggestions: (Detailed below)
      (1) Max level 100 (ish)
      (2) Approximate level required to beat all difficulties (75-85)
      (3) Paragon 2.0 system stats (not character attributes) allocated per level (paragon system removed), to specialize characters and have progression per level (do want a MF char, a PvP char, farming char etc.?)
      (4) Allow respecs through combinations of found items in the world (via bosses and elites)
      (5) The monster level is determined by either average or highest level of characters in the game.
      (6) Item power is distributed much more across the level spectrum, i.e. level 40+ items could all be viable end game.

Suggestions Detailed:
    (1) Max level 100 (ish)
  • The actual max level doesn't really matter, but the point is to have a level higher than where the 'end game' type content can start. There should be a grind to get to the max level so that people don't feel like it is absolutely necessary to get there. It should be challenging to get to max level to give people a secondary objective rather than just finding loot.

(2) Approximate level required to beat all difficulties (~85% of max level)
  • The story of the game, or the difficulties should be able to be beaten by about 85% of max level. This will allow people to again not feel forced to reach max level, but still be able to play end game content without being rushed.

Edit: For this, the easiest way to think about it is to think about how the D2 leveling system was end game where it wasn't necessary for you to get to max level.

(3) Paragon 2.0 system stats allocated per level (paragon system removed), to specialize characters and have progression per level (do want a MF char, a PvP char, farming char etc.?)
  • The stats should not be allocated post max level, they should be awarded as we level our character itself. We should also not be able to max out every single attribute as that removes the choice in the matter. Allow our characters to specialize into a specific kind. Aside: maybe give us a major passive slot that would allow our wizard to choose between: melee, cold, fire, lightning, arcane specialty etc.

Edit: Here by stats, I am not referring to attributes (Str, Dex, Int, Vit)

My thoughts were each level you get to choose between cooldown reduction, attack speed, critical chance, block chance, movement speed, (maybe) magic find, resource generation etc. Each one could have a certain max you could put in 10-30 or more. But enough so that we cannot max everything (or even come close).
      - For instance cooldown reduction for the first 10 levels could be: 10%, 10%, 10%, 5%, 5%, 5%, 3%, 3%, 2%, 2%
      - Attack speed could be say 20 levels: 5%, 5%, 5%, 4%, 4%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 2%, 2% ....
      - Critcal chance: 3%, 3%, 2%, 2%, 2%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1% ...

You could have a few free respecs for these (or always) but I think getting people out in the world to find ingredients to respec makes them play the game more than just changing each game or at will.

(4) Allow respecs through combinations of found items in the world (via bosses and elites)
  • Our respecs should be through a combination of items we find in the world, not just at any point in time. We should have to get an item from each boss and say 20 from elites that would allow us to respec our stat points (paragon 2.0 type stat points).

Edit: Let me try to clarify what I mean here. This is not referring to skill rune choices. Making the skills permanent would be farcical with the current skill system. This is referring to the stat allocation system per level (point (3)).

(5) The monster level is determined by either average or highest level of characters in the game.
  • One of the reasons for inferno initially was to have a difficulty where you didn't completely out-level the monsters so they are easy. Why not just overcome this by scaling the monster level by the highest character in the game (with a minimum and maximum level per difficulty, i.e. normal couldn't have level 60, but maybe 38)?

Edit: With more character and monster levels, the difference in monster levels (damage, health wise) would not nearly be as significant as it currently is. This would just ensure that the difficulty does not constantly get too easy as you continually level up in the last difficulty.

(6) Item power is distributed much more across the level spectrum, i.e. level 40+ items could all be viable end game.
  • Skills could be based off both a base damage (that scales with level) and a weapon damage % to lessen the importance of weapon dps. The items could have a modifier to increase the base damage by say 300%. This may be complicated to implement, but with some work it would make lower level items also important. Having all legendaries spawn at max level just complicates the problem of finding items at lower levels. Being able to upgrade the legendaries maybe useful though.