inconsistent behavior: skill buttons vs mouse clicks

• I recognized some inconsistent behavior between skill buttons and mouse clicks. For an example I use the monk and his skill 'exploding palm'.

First behavior:
    I put the skill on the left mouse button. Then I move the mouse over an enemy. I hold down my left mouse button. The monk approaches the enemy and attacks.

Second behavior:
    I put the skill on skill slot 1 (default hotkey is '1'). Then I move the mouse over an enemy. I hold down hotkey '1'. The monk punches first, then approaches the enemy and attacks.

The first behaviour occurs with left and right mouse buttons.
    The second behavior occurs with skill slots 1-5.
    Even when I reassign the hotkey for a specific skill slot (for example middle mouse button) and trigger the skill with my middle mouse button, the second behavior occurs.

These different outcomes of using the same skill but different mouse buttons does not make any sense in my opinion and should be equalized.
  • This is actually working as intended; attacks bound to mouse-clicks will only be cast once you are in range for melee attacks and ranged attacks will be cast upon clicking on the enemy for left-click, but for right-click they will be cast upon clicking anywhere on the screen. In regards to the skills bound to the 1-5 keys, those are used on key-press in the direction of your mouse; this means as soon as you press the key you will use that ability.