downloader issues

• ok for over a week i have been trying to download the game and at various points the download would just close on itself no error messages or anything it just goes poof and when i would try to restart it it would freeze up. yesterday i got it started up again after trial and error i figured something out if i click it every half hour it seemed to stay on. but i got into a movie and when i looked over the down loader was gone yet again i started it up and it initialized then checked and started downloading again this morning when i went to bed i tried to set an alarm to click it every 30 min but missed it and it poofed again had to restart it 2 more times. right now its nearly done so crossing fingers. im just wondering why does it seem like it times out after half hour of downloading if you dont click someone on the dang down loader? its rather annoying this time out thing because with my downloading it takes over a day to download the 7gb and to have to click it once every half hour is stupid.
  • Silvkitsune,

You're the only one I've seen report this so I'd assume it's something to do with your computer, possibly something on the system monitoring activity.

Try booting in selective startup once and starting the downloader after that. See if it still shuts off.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/backgroundapps

05/08/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Silvkitsune
    well its now its at 7.60gb of 7.60gb 99% and now its not doing anything.

This is normal right now, it's still working even when it says finished at the bottom. Don't touch it, just let it do it's thing which is converting the .part files it's downloaded into the regular files. If you close it too soon, it will leave .part files behind and it won't be complete when you go to install it on the 14/15th.

If it's still running in the task manager, let it continue. If it's been more than an hour, kill the task and check the installation folder. Are there any .part files in it? If there are, re-run the downloader. Let it go until it runs the setup.exe file by itself.

In that folder is a file called Diablo III Setup.exe. Double click it and it should take you to an Install screen. Selecting Install should give you the message about the fire from the sky still falling and that the game hasn't been released yet. If you see that, and based on your description of the folder contents, you should be fine when it comes time to actually install the game.

Ok, try deleting the C:\ProgramData\Battle.net folder. It's hidden by default on Windows 7 and Vista so if you don't see the ProgramData folder, do the following first:

Click your Windows/Start button, select 'Control Panel' from the menu, then 'Appearance and Personalization', then 'Folder Options'. Next click the 'View' tab, scroll down the list and look for the option 'Hidden files and folders', make sure this is set to Show hidden files and folders.

If you have Windows XP, you'd delete C:\ Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Battle.net instead.

Delete the C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net folder next and try.

Don't touch it, just let it run until it starts the setup program by itself, at which point you should see the message about the game not being released yet.

If you force close it, check the installer folder afterwards. If you see any files with a .part extension, re-run the downloader specifying the same location you did the first time and it will check what you have and finish properly, though it may take a while, 30-60 minutes in some cases it seems.