"Unexpected error" crash when I join game.

• I'm having a very, very hard time getting D3 to run on my Dell laptop using Windows 8.

Despite being way above the minimum requeriments, more often than not, it's impossible to join or create a game without crashing. I get an unexpected error that doesn't give a whole lot of information about what went wrong.

I know Win 8 is terrible for D3. I wasn't even able to get to the login screen before I started running as admin all the time. Now, I am able to login and get to character selection screen and AH, but as soon as I create or join a game, the crash occurs.

The only clue I have is that it could be related to my graphic card - AMD Radeon HD 7570M. It seems that when I update the driver, the game works. But as soon as I restart the system, everything will stop working again.

Radeon's Catalyst Control is another app that surely doesn't work welll with Windows 8, but even installing the graphic drivers without the controlling app doesn't change the fact that the game barely works in my laptop, or just works until I restart the system. :(

It could be completely unrelated, too. The fact that the error gives me no hint about what is wrong frustrates me. Anyway, another thing that have worked for sure in the past is deleting the game cache in Data_D3\PC\MPQs\Cache - but still, it's a frustrating work, and having to update the files all the time whenever I want to play can't be a long-term solution as it's a 40 minute process at least.

Can someone help? I've played around with running in compatibility mode but it had no effect too. Thanks in advance.
  • Guga,

Can you post your D3Debug.txt file right after it crashes the next time please? It's located in the main Diablo III game folder. Edit out your account name first though. It's going to appear in a few places in the file.